Lemon Sponge. An oven baked sponge pudding flavoured with lemons
- 75g butter, plus extra to grease
- 190g golden caster sugar
- Finely grated zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 75g self-raising flour
- 200ml milk
1. Lightly grease a 1.5-litre ovenproof dish with a little butter. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4.
2. Using an electric hand whisk, beat together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until softened. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, then briefly mix in the flour. Gradually stir in the milk and lemon juice – the mixture will look slightly curdled.
3. In a clean, grease-free bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks. Using a large metal spoon, fold them into the lemon mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, until the sponge layer is firm and golden on top.
Ninety Sweet Pudding Recipes. Savoury Puddings. Sweet Souces. PastryFully illustrated in colour. Indexed.
Ninety Sweet Pudding Recipes. Savoury Puddings. Sweet Sauces. PastryFully illustrated in colour. Indexed.