Queen of Puddings
Queen of Puddings is a traditional British dessert, consisting of a baked, breadcrumb-thickened egg custard, spread with jam and topped with meringue.
- 4 eggs
- 600 ml full fat milk
- 1 piece lemon rind
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 cups soft white breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 300g raspberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 150 C.
2. Butter a deep baking dish, at least 1.5L capacity. Spread with jam.
3. Heat the milk with the lemon rind until just before boiling-point.
4. Beat one whole egg and three egg yolks with 1/3 cup of sugar. Add the vanilla.
5. Discard the lemon rind and whisk the warm milk into the egg-sugar mixture.
6. Stir in the breadcrumbs and let sit 5 minutes.
7. Pour the breadcrumb-custard mixture over the jam and bake for 45-60 mins. The custard
should be set but still a bit wobbly in the middle.
8. Beat the three eggwhites and gradually add the 2/3 cup of sugar until you achieve a thick,
9. Turn up the heat to 190 C, swirl meringue attractively on top of the custard layer and
bake for another 10 minutes.
Ninety Sweet Pudding Recipes. Savoury Puddings. Sweet Souces. PastryFully illustrated in colour. Indexed.
Ninety Sweet Pudding Recipes. Savoury Puddings. Sweet Sauces. PastryFully illustrated in colour. Indexed.